Sunday, August 16, 2009

Goodfellow Inc. (TSE: GDL)

Goodfellow Inc. (TSE: GDL) is a remanufacturer and wholesaler of lumber products and hardwood flooring. They have over 7000 customers, mainly in Eastern Canada and the United States. I found them by conducting a screen querying profitable companies trading below book value per share with a trailing P/E under 10. Running some quick numbers got me very interested in this little company as not only is it trading below book value but it is trading below current assets after subtracting all liabilities. I jumped on the chance to value this company as on the surface I thought it was a definite buy at this price.

I arrived at a net asset value (NAV) for GDL of $19.67 per share assuming a replacement value of the balance sheet. This took into account my estimation of the value of customer relationships as they seem to be very important in GDL's industry and these were not previously accounted for as any sort of intangible on the balance sheet.

An earnings power value (EPV) for the company of $8.69 per share was found by extrapolating forward normalized earnings from the last 12 months. Normalized zero growth cash flows were found for the trailing 12 months and were then divided by the estimated cost of capital of 7.5% in order to obtain the value of a perpetuity with no growth.

The EPV well below NAV makes sense as GDL is currently returning approximately 5% on invested capital (replacement value of balance sheet). By comparing this to the cost of capital of 7.5% it is apparent that the company is underutilizing its assets. I like how management is focused on keeping costs down and on how management makes clear that capital expenditures are kept to the value of depreciation (essentially replenishment but not growth expenditures) - they are not trying to grow the company as this would only destroy value with the return on capital being less than its cost.

The current trading price of $7.90 per share seems to be based on the company's earnings power minus perhaps the market's own margin of safety due to the unknown prospects for GDL's industry moving out of this recession. GDL mainly serves the housing market which has been decimated over the past 12 months and it is anyone's guess what the prospects are for the industry.

The fact that GDL can be bought for less than its current assets, after satisfying all liabilities, has no implications for an investor. The company has a stable balance sheet, is profitable and operates in a viable industry - it is not going to be liquidated anytime soon. The only benefits an investor will see from this company are in the form of earnings to equity. As the shares are trading in line with EPV, buying shares in this company would essentially be speculating as to the prospects for the industry as a whole. If the industry picks up GDL will surely prosper. However if the industry prospects get even worse then you can bet that the company's shares will move in lockstep.

As a value investor I refuse to speculate on the industry and would rather know that I am buying a company for below its true worth. I see no catalyst that may bring EPV closer to NAV as management seems content with the operations (except perhaps for the suffering top-line due to current market conditions). As such my intrinsic value for the company is $8.69 per share as found for EPV. Applying a satisfactory margin of safety implies an entry price of around $5.80 per share. As shares are currently trading around $7.90 I will be staying away from this company for now.

Disclosure: None

9 comments:

  1. Great analysis Jonathan. I really like your thought process and how your conclusion that the company is underutilizing its asset base is without a doubt true. On that basis I do believe the appropriate way to value this business is through its EPV. However, given the cyclicality of the business, wouldn't you want to normalize cashflows / earnings through a full cycle instead of TTM?

    I took a quick look at the financial statements for the last 5 years, and the company seems to have a fairly stable business even in the face of recent cyclical headwinds, so I would be even more encouraged to normalize margins given the likelyhood that management will able to right size its cost structure. On a normalized basis it looks like the company should be able to achieve 4% EBITDA margins on its lower sales base (assumed sales will level out at 2008 level of 480, though this might be optimistic), which translates into EBITDA of $19.2 - maintainance CAPEX of $2.3 (extrapolated last years, though it could be arguably less) = around $17 MM of EBIT and after tax Net Income of around $10 MM.

    Usinge these numbers imply an EV/EBIT of 5.6X & a P/E of around 7X. Not dirt cheap, and I would agree with you that the shares are close to their fair value, however the shares are compelling enough to follow and try to gauge whether management is attempting to add value shrinking its asset base or looking for other strategic options.

    In any event, thanks for the great post. By the way are you a member of SumZero and or VIC?

    EV ~ 96 MM (Per/Share = $11.19)
    Mkt Cap ~ 68 MM (Per/Share = $7.95)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luis,

    Thank you for the great feedback. I appreciate the kind words as well.

    I completely agree with what you are saying regarding management. I did normalize margins (EBIT margins, not EBITDA) over the previous 5 years and found an EBIT margin of around 3.4%. Using these margins I arrived at my price of $8.68 per share for EPV (equity value). Fair value of EV with my numbers would be $12.5 per share although I don't recommend looking at that metric as EV shouldn't be compared on a per share basis (shares are always equity). --> I know you know this but just for the other readers who may benefit.

    This company is on my watch list now but I won't be adding any sort of catalyst value at the moment. Management, while selling some assets out of necessity to keep costs down, does not seem to be on the mission to shrink it's asset base that I would like to see. They have no incentive as they are profitable and are not attempting to grow the business other than organically (which in itself would increase ROIC although who knows whether they will be successful in this regard or if they will be able to do it without adding additional value-destroying assets).

    I am not currently a member of either but will be applying to VIC shortly. Yourself? Haven't heard of SumZero, will take a look.

    All the best.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great. I agree, I would be interested in the stock at the levels you mentioned ~ $5.00.

    Yeah, I am a member of VIC. I encourage you to apply, it is a great resource for investment ideas.

    SumZero is very similar, though a bit less restrictive on its membership since it is by invitation (have to be a buy-side analyst or investor). Since the membership is much larger (I think > 2000) the community isn't as "exclusive" as VIC and the quality of the posted ideas can be more variable. However, it is still a great forum to look for ideas and for getting feedback on one's own investments.

    I will send you an invite, and you can see for yourself. Once you register, post an idea to get access to other member's ideas (since it isn't subject to approval don't worry to much about it being perfect, as you might with VIC).

    By the way, I am very interested in looking for deep value names in the Canadian market. I have just barely begun skimming through names and have a couple of investments - I own Algonquin Power (APF.UN), Contrans Income (CCS.UN) & AlarmForce (AF). Algonquin & Contrans are both VIC ideas that I found compelling and I really like the home security services business having successfully invested in Brinks (BCO) spinoff. Anyway, I really like knowing people in countries that I am investing in and would love to occasionally bounce ideas off you.

    Keep up the good work on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the invite, Luis. Definitely stay in touch and feel free to bounce ideas off me anytime.

    Best,
    JG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jonathan, thanks so much for this analysis. I am a newbie and still learning, so it is helpful to get your take.

    I actually had a quick question. You mention that the cost of capital is 7.5%, just wondering where you get this from?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon,

    You're welcome. The cost of capital is my estimation using a weighted cost of capital (WACC) calculation. I estimated the cost of debt a comparable firm would have as well as the cost of equity (via adding a premium to the cost of debt). I then used the target weights of debt to capital and equity to capital that the company seemed to be aiming for on a long-term basis. Once I had this information it was just a matter of plugging it into the WACC formula and this gave me the cost of capital for the firm.

    I hope this helps.

    Best,
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you use for screening Canadian stocks? The Globe and Mail has the only free TSE screener that I am aware of, and it is pretty crappy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Raven,

    The BEST free screener I've come across is ADVFN (www.advfn.com). You can screen Canadian, US and UK markets across tons of different criteria. Enjoy!... JG

    ReplyDelete
  9. ADVFN: OMG! Where have you been all my life?

    Thanks for the suggestion (and for the GDL analysis)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Subscribe via RSS