Saturday, August 8, 2009

My Mentor - Dr. George Athanassakos

What I have shown you in the basics course on value investing should only be considered as a first look into the philosophy and how to implement it. As you can imagine, every value investor has their own metrics, views and opinions when it comes to valuation and you will develop your own methodology with study and practice. A good place to start is with the book by Bruce Greenwald that I have mentioned previously. Now this is just a start.

My own serious studies in value investing began while working on a research paper with Dr. George Athanassakos at the Richard Ivey School of Business (University of Western Ontario), where he is the Ben Graham Chair in Value Investing. While at the school I also took his highly regarded and greatly subscribed to course in value investing. In this course we spent a number of intense weeks valuing many companies in different industries so that Dr. Athanassakos' methodology would be second nature to us. On this site I will be sticking to the overview of the methodology that I have posted and will not be getting into the intricacies as our focus here will be about investment ideas. In order to learn the detailed aspects of valuation, that I use to arrive at these ideas, along with the toolkit to then go off and develop your own methodology I definitely recommend studying with an expert in the field like Dr. Athanassakos.

Dr. Athanassakos offers executive education seminars in value investing during the year. Details on these can be found HERE. He also teaches value investing to the MBA and HBA students at the Richard Ivey School of Business (University of Western Ontario).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Subscribe via RSS